HDD Clicker generates HDD clicking sounds, based on HDD Led activity. It allows the nostalgic harddisk sound, while using modern SSD, CF or SD cards.
Fully soldered and 100% tested board.
Updated info added after LGR video :
Sound volume and tone can be physically tuned, from very loud to almost silent, by applying simple physical changes.
The LGR video shows the 'loud 'quantum hdd' sound configuration (no sticker on buzzer).
Alternative option is a more silent 90s HDD sound configuration (sticker on buzzer).
Demo comparison video coming soon.
Developed in friendly cooperation with Matze, based on his prototype.
- Molex Harddisk Power connector
- HDD LED in header
- HDD LED out header
- 'External out' header to optionally connect additional speaker or higher current 5V visual indicator
- Power LED out header
- Programming header (do not use, reserved for factory/future updates of the attiny processor)
Includes a 30cm LED connection cable, to connect the board to your mainboard.
Optional 70cm connection cables available (for large tower case mounting).
A 3d printed enclosure is available (includes a velcro mounting dot) :
To address the questions by LGR :
By default, this emulates an old loud harddisk (like loud old quantum drive).
Use the test button to calibrate for your needs, you can easily adjust the behaviour by making small physical adjustments :
Volume adjustment options :
- Low volume 'modern IDE HDD mode' : a small sticker on the speaker directly : this dampens the sound, sounds like modern harddisk --> this option is now by default selected in the webshop.
- Medium volume 'LGR mode' : put some tape on the buzzer hole : this dampens the sound slightly, and changes the tone a bit (like in LGR video). make changes to calibrate the sound yourself.
- High volume 'Quantum mode' : very loud old cranky HDD sound, this option is selectable in the webshop.
Sound tone adjustment :
- put some tape on the enclosure to change the tone --> more bassy sound
- put some material in the buzzer hole in the enclosure
- change orientation / position of board within your case
- add an external actuator on the option port if you like more noise
The final tone depends also on the place you mount it in the case, feel free to experiment in tuning !
Demonstration recordings will follow. If you can get a good match, send me a video !
Connection infomation :
Review by Retro Erik
Early prototype demonstation by Root42 (Serdaco version will have different connectors)
Review by LGR :
Hdd clicker test button and volume/tone options :